We heard the questions you asked at the Events DC October 16 RFK Campus Quarterly Meeting. We appreciate the feedback from the meeting and look forward to updating you soon.
Thank you for being open and honest with us – we want to continue working together!
We hear you, and we’re here to help.
We realize everyone could not be at the Quarterly Meeting. We are sharing information that was discussed, as well as questions and concerns asked by you, so that everyone is aware of what is happening on the Campus.
Farewell D.C. United Game
D.C. United played their final regular season match at RFK Stadium on October 22, at 4:00 pm against the New York Red Bulls. A few hours prior to kickoff, former players of the Black-and-Red played in a “Legends Match,” that was free for all ticketed fans.
Questions About Asphalt to Action Campaign
You asked several questions about the “Asphalt to Action” Campaign, which is our grassroots movement to share information and build support for the proposed redevelopment of the RFK Campus (more information about the proposal is at RFKCampus.com, and the hashtag is #RFKREADY).
Q: When is groundbreaking going to occur on Lot 7 (which is proposed to be converted to a multi-purpose community field for youth soccer and baseball)?
A: We will hold the groundbreaking event within the next 6 – 12 months.
Q: Has the environmental study contract on Kingman Island (located in Kingman Lake) been awarded?
A: The U.S. Department of Energy & Environment (DOEE) is doing an environmental study on Kingman Island and has included a portion of Lot 7 in that study. Find more information about the study here: https://doee.dc.gov/publication/kingman-island-heritage-island-planning-feasibility-study
Q: Are Events DC and the Department of Energy & Environment (DOEE) coordinating on the Kingman Island study? If so, how could the DOEE think they have access to that space (Lot 7)? If not, can they start coordinating?
A: We will get back to you with answers to your questions. In the meantime, please go to
http://www.rfkcampus.com/about for more information about the different parts of the RFK Campus project.
Concerns About Planning Projects Together
Q: There are concerns about how the three groups planning major projects – the RFK Campus Redevelopment, Reservation 13 and the Jail – are meeting individually instead of together. We think the groups need to plan holistically. When is the next RFK Campus Redevelopment meeting going to be?
A: We need to have Brian T. Kenner, Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) onsite to talk about the RFK Redevelopment, Reservation 13 and the Jail Project as a whole. We are working with him and each group to find a date and time that works for everyone, as well as the community. We will get back to you as soon as we have that information.
Q: The plans for Reservation 13 shows that it is a potential site for Amazon, and that the controversial roadway may be reopened. Has Events DC made a decision on how the road will factor into our short-term plans?
A: We will get back to you with more information.
We are also working on these requests that you made at the meeting:
- A request was made for us to talk with the Hill East Boys and Girls Club about possibly being able to provide space for their activities as they are losing ground space throughout the community due to development.
- The sidewalk on our side of Oklahoma Avenue and Benning Road is in desperate need of repair. Can Events DC aid the community in reaching out to the appropriate agency to get this walking path fixed?
- Truck and bus activity continues to be a nuisance as they drive on Oklahoma and through the neighborhood to get into Lots 6/7/8. Can Events DC do anything to provide the drivers with explicit directions and keep them away from the Lot 6 entrances/exits off Oklahoma?
- Another request was made to have weeds pulled and grass cut in and around the batting cages.
- A request was made for Events DC include truck marshalling activity on the quarterly/monthly calendars moving forward.
Next Meeting: We will announce the date for our next quarterly meeting in the Events DC administrative offices at RFK Stadium soon.